Thursday, April 06, 2006


Who Ya Gonna Call?

Back to the subject of films.

I was watching Lost in Translation a couple of days ago with some friends and we started to debate the merits of Bill Murray. Now, for me Bill Murray is one of those actors that I will watch in anything. i look at the list of films he's made and think to myself, "yup, I could watch any of those", the one abberation seems to be the Garfield films but (thank God) that's only a voice-over so in my book it doesn't strictly count.

But you consider the films he's made that are at worst watchable and best classics; Lost in Translation. Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, The Life Aquatic, Broken Flowers, Scrooged, What About Bob, Caddyshack, The Royal Tennenbaums, Rushmore, Ed Wood, Tootsie..... all good films, all watchable, all improved by the appearance of Bill Murray.

It's said that there are a number of directors who won't work with him because he insists on improvising, which often means the scenes he shoots bear no resemblance to those scripted. However, those directors who do work with him are mostly of the opinion that, more often than not, whatever he does is an improvement.

One day justice will be done and he'll walk away with an Oscar... until then he'll just keep making consistently good films.

Ladies & gentleman, I give you Bill Murray.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home