Saturday, July 01, 2006

We Used To Hang People For Less...!

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to be offered a freebie trip to see England v Sri Lanka in the 20/20 match at the Rose Bowl in Southampton. All in all it was a great day: free bar, free food, great weather. The only thing that wasn't so great was the result.

One of the things arranged for the day was the opportunity to watch the England v Trinidad & Tobago World Cup match on the big screen at the ground, However my mate and I decided that, all things considered, we'd be better off watching it in the hospitality tent because (a) the view was better and (b) that's where the beers were.

So there we were watching that match and we were joined by a couple of other guests and our host for the day, a representative of one of our fine gambling houses. What really surprised me was this fine upstanding Englishman didn't want England to win because "...any England win costs us a lot of money".

I was gobsmacked. No job could ever be that important to me that I would actively want my country to lose at anything, I mean it's not as if it was his money that was on the line!

That's pretty damn close to treason, isn't it?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home